The main tasks of the vacuum team include:
- Conceptual design, procurement, test, installation and commissioning of vacuum related accelerator upgrades.
- Assistance with the design and implementation of new vacuum beamline equipment (upgrades, new branches, new beamlines).
- Installation and maintenance of vacuum systems and equipment across the facility (including bakeouts, leak detection tests, small repairing jobs and substitution of faulty parts).
- Monitoring and troubleshooting of accelerator vacuum systems.
- Cleaning of vacuum chambers, parts and components prior to their installation inside vacuum systems across the facility.
- Procurement of standard and custom-made vacuum hardware.
- Upkeep of stock and storage of standard vacuum equipment and spare parts.
- Updating and enforcing the laboratory vacuum standards to ensure that the accelerators and beamlines can be operating safely and reliably.
- Help with the installation, maintenance or substitution of components in the LINAC’s klystron gallery and the electron gun area.