MAX IV Laboratory is a Swedish national synchrotron laboratory that has operated as a user facility since 2016. It is the successor to MAX-lab, which was in operation between 1987 and 2015. MAX IV offers access to 16 beamlines that provide modern X-ray spectroscopy, scattering/diffraction, and imaging techniques to contribute to solving scientific questions in a wide range of areas. MAX IV employs more than 300 people.
MAX IV welcomes around 1000 users every year, a number which is expected to double in the coming years. The beamlines are open to academia, research institutes, industry, and government agencies worldwide through the user access programmes.
The X-ray light at MAX IV is produced by an accelerator complex comprising a linear accelerator as well as 1.5 GeV and a 3 GeV storage ring for electrons. MAX IV is the first worldwide realisation of a fourth-generation light source, which has opened opportunities to develop experimental techniques based on outstanding brightness and coherence.