|30 - 1500 eV
Linear vertical (energy minimum approx. 45 eV)
Circular (under commissioning)
|Typically about 5000 (at 400 eV).
Under special circumstances up to 10 000
|APXPS: about 100 µm x 100 µm
RIXS: about 5 µm x 25 µm
APXPS proposal submission.
As there are two complimentary APXPS beamlines at MAX IV, many proposals could be carried out at either HIPPIE or SPECIES. Such proposals can therefore be submitted with a preference of beamline, which is recommended if a proposal would benefit from specific capabilities of either beamline (e.g. photon or sample environment requirements), or without a preference in which case the proposal will be considered for both beamlines.
At SPECIES the APXPS endstation offers to users:
- Standard ambient pressure cell for catalysis, redox chemistry, etc. research. Maximum pressure about 20 mbar, maximum temperature about 600 C (maximum temperature is gas dependent)
- ALD ambient pressure cell for ALD-type research. Maximum pressure about 20 mbar, maximum substrate temperature about 400 C
- UHV sample preparation tools: please see the experimental station page
- Experimental methods available: XPS, UPS, AES, NEXAFS (partial electron yield mode using the electron analyzer, or drain current in UHV)
- Infrastructure for wide-ranges of sample preparation is available in the adjacent facilities in the laboratory (Chemistry labs, Microscopy labs).
It is possible to submit Fast Access proposals to both branches at SPECIES. This short-notice proposals and short experiments can be used for both feasibility studies and very short scientific experiments. Maximum 6 shifts (24 hrs) can be allocated for a single proposal. For APXPS endstation, only the standard ambient pressure cell or only UHV measurements are offered for this type of access, and only during certain pre-defined time. Please contact beamline personnel for the current schedule. The cell is provided with full functionality, however, the cleanliness cannot be guaranteed as it is not baked in between measurements.
For information on how to apply for the fast access, please visit Fast Access call page
Fast access time slots are available upon request. Please contact the beamline staff.
Deadline for submissions: At least 3 weeks before the desired date of experiment
Scanning probe microscopy
If your experiment would benefit from UHV scanning probe microscopy (STM or NC-AFM) of your surfaces, samples from SPECIES can be transferred via vacuum suitcase to an Omicron VT SPM. For more information, refer to the Scanning Probe Microscopy lab webpages. Please also contact beamline staff if this is required for your experiment.
RIXS proposal submission
MAX IV offers two beamlines for research using the RIXS technique. The Veritas beamline offers complementary experimental techniques.
At SPECIES the RIXS endstation offers to users:
- High-resolution RIXS of solids, liquids, vapors, and gases using the GRACE and PGS spectrometers
- Endstation is currently under construction/commissioning
Experimental data is generally stored on networked servers. Information on how to obtain the data is available on this website. Please ask beamline staff for more info.
Sample preparations and labs
There are several on-site labs available close to the beamlines, where you are able to prepare samples in appropriate environments.
For general information about the biological, chemical and microscopy support labs, please refer to our lab page.