Transfer Data from MAX IV using Globus Connect
How to download your data from MAX IV server.
Due to the high amount of data generated during experiments, copying datasets from MAX IV beamlines to external hard disks are not always possible. We highly recommend using Globus Connect to retrieve experimental data from MAX IV
- A computer running macOS, Windows or Linux
- Globus ID credentials (Either personal or organizational)
- MAX IV DUO credentials
- High-speed internet connection outside MAX IV network
1. Log in to Globus
- Go to the Globus website: https://app.globus.org/
- Select your organization from the drop down menu and click on the Continue button to access the log in page; or use one of the alternative options provided to sign in.
It is important to note that this first login is to gain access to Globus only, not to MAX IV data. The access to MAX IV needs to be configured in the next step.
2. Setup MAX IV Data Transfer Service endpoint
- After successful log in to Globus, the Transfer Files screen will be loaded and both endpoints can be configured. First, enter the Collection end point (the MAX IV endpoint). Click in the input box and and type MAX IV Laboratory.
- Click continue. The next window asks for authentication using your DUO Login credentials.
- Once you log in to MAX IV successfully you will see the visitor MAX IV folder, which contains the data collected at each beamline. Note that you will only have access to data from proposals you are part of.
- To transfer data to a data disk at your own institution, type or search for the end point on the window right side.
3. Setup Personal endpoint
- To download data to a personal computer, one will have to define that computer as Personal Endpoint using Globus Connect software. Select Endpoints in the left-side menu to access the setup page.
- Click on the Create a personal endpoint link.
- Next, download and install Globus Connect Personal software in your computer, using the link corresponding to your operating system. Follow the on-screen instructions keeping the default settings.
- Log in to the software. You will be requested to sign in again (refer to the section 1 above), allow the software the required access and provide a name for the collection.
- Once you finish the setup, the local endpoint will be available under the Administrated by me tab, found after clicking the endpoint name on the right-hand side. This option enables searching local folders to download data.
4. Download MAX IV data
- To transfer the data to the final endpoint, go back to the File Manager by selecting the item in the left-side menu.
- On the left window pane, select the data you want to transfer, which is under the following path:
- On the right pane, select your local destination folder and click on the blue button on the top to start the data download.
- To monitor the transfer progress, you can click the Activity button at the bottom of your Transfer Files page. As soon as the transfer finishes, you will receive an email.