MAX IV PhD Thesis Award
Since 2013, MAX IV Laboratory awards one PhD work of outstanding quality.
NOMINATION for the MAX IV PhD Thesis Award 2019
Nominations submitted by the PhD or supervisor must be sent by email to , with the subject MAX IV PhD Thesis Award 2019.
The deadline to submit a nomination is midnight on the 25th July 2019. Nominations received later that that will not be considered!
The nomination must be accompanied with:
- The MAX IV PhD thesis award Nomination Form (please download it from the link) completed. The purpose of the nomination form is to help us to assess the thesis and the work.
- A letter of support from a relevant senior academic (candidates supervisor, head of department or other relevant senior person who has experience of the candidate and their work)
- A .pdf copy of the thesis
PhD theses eligible for the award must satisfy the following criteria:
- The work in the thesis must be relevant to MAX IV, i.e. the work must be based fully or partially on research performed at Max-lab or MAX IV laboratory, across any discipline, method, technique or application of synchrotron radiation.
- The thesis must be defended during the period: 16 August 2018 – 25 July 2019.
- The award recipient must be present at the User Meeting (Sept 23-25, 2019) to receive the award and to give a 20 minutes presentation of the awarded PhD thesis work.
- The nomination documentation must be complete and submitted by the specified deadline (midnight on the 25th July 2019).
The PhD Thesis will be evaluated by a Review Committee appointed by the MAX IV User Office and supported by the MAX IV management.
The evaluation guideline criteria are:
- The quality and impact of the work within the context of the field.
- The quality and capability of the candidate based on the thesis manuscript and associated published work.
- The contribution of the PhD student to the research work in their PhD thesis (as indicated by the “Authors contributions” information provided in the thesis and in the submitted list of associated publications).
The winner of the MAX IV PhD Thesis Award 2019 will be announced at the User Meeting banquet dinner, on Tuesday September 24th 2019.
MAX IV PhD Thesis award 2019 sponsored by
As part of the award, the author of the winning poster will be welcomed to give an oral presentation at the plenary session on Wednesday 25 September and receive a monetary prize of SEK 8000. The MAX IV PhD Thesis Award 2019 is sponsored by DECTRIS