Lund University Computing Center
- Lund University computing center (LUNARC) can provide computing resources for processing data from experiments carried out at MAX IV as well as for related simulations and modeling.
- Data from experiments at MAX IV are stored in a common data center and are available on LUNARC computing systems via a high speed interconnect.
- Software environment at LUNARC is very similar to that one used during the experiments at MAX IV.
- LUNARC provides computing resources
- for MAX IV international academic users via a MAX IV & LUNARC pilot project (2019-2020)
- for Nordic academic users via a NeIC/SNIC Cross-Border Resource sharing pilot project
- for Swedish academic users in general
- An allocation of computing resources at LUNARC is not a part of the experiment proposal (2020). The computing resource request is independent of the MAX IV user office and it is handled via the SUPR system provided by Swedish National Infrastructure for Computing (SNIC).
- Getting access
- Swedish academia users are served by LUNARC & SNIC and they may proceed practically without MAX IV coordination by applying for a project and an account on LUNARC in SUPR.
- Users from Nordic universities can use the NeIC/SNIC DELLINGR project for Cross-Border Resource Sharing.
- International MAX IV users interested in accessing computing resources at LUNARC should first contact MAX IV IT & Scientific Software via their beamline contact or User office (with reference to this page).
Setting up a LUNARC & SNIC account
1. Create an account at the Swedish National computing infrastructure
Skip to next point if you are already in SUPR.
If you do not have a SUPR account yet, "Register New Person".
(Next page) If your institute is in SWAMID, "Register via SWAMID". If your institute is not in SWAMID (mostly case for non-Swedish users) then "Register without SWAMID" and login later using "Email and Password".
2. Login to SUPR
3. Accept the SNIC User agreement
Personal Information -> roll down to User Agreement -> Handle the agreement
If you were not in SWAMID, i.e. you are using email&password (non-Scandinavian users but also e.g. Danish) you will need to print out a PDF, sign it and send it with a photocopy of your ID by regular mail to Göteborg (Sweden). This may take some time. Another option is to drop the signed agreement with the photocopy of your ID in the MAX IV reception.
4. Join a Project
Projects -> Request Membership in Project
Search for and request to join e.g.: "LVIS 2020/5-1". You can also use the project-PI name.
Leave there some short msg for the project PIs. PAUSE (overnight): Wait until project PIs add you at least to one project. You should receive email notice.
5. Request Aurora/LUNARC account
SUPR.snic.se: Accounts->Accounts request->Request LUNARC account (there will be nothing visible if you already have an account or you do not participate in any project at LUNARC)
LUNARC prefers a user name created from the first 3 letters of your first and second name (example: JOHan SVEnson -> johsve). However you may want to choose same username as the one in DUO.maxiv.lu.se
PAUSE (usually a day but if you have to sent the letter to Göteborg then very long): Again wait LUNARC handles your account request. This will not be handled before the User agreement is in place (i.e. the letter arrives for non-SWAMID users). You can see your status in SUPR/account. You will receive email with instructions (usually a telephone number and you have to call this number in order to pick up your initial password)
6. Pick up the password (in Scandinavian office hours, 8:30-17:00 Stockholm time).
7. Read LUNARC DOC: https://lunarc-documentation.readthedocs.io/en/latest/authenticator_howto
8. Install and activate the PocketPassword (you will use the password for the first time here) following the LUNARC instructions.
9. ssh or ThinLinc to:
You will use your password that you received and OTP from the PocketPassword App.
Accessing MAX IV data at LUNARC
MAX IV experimental data are mounted (directly available) on LUNARC & Aurora front-ends and compute nodes in a read only mode as
If you do not have access to your proposal directory, it is likely that your MAX IV and LUNARC accounts are not properly linked. Please contact LUNARC or MAX IV support in such a case.