MAX IV PhD Thesis Award 2020
Since 2013, MAX IV Laboratory awards one PhD work of outstanding quality.
How is the MAX IV PhD Thesis Award organized?
The fist step is to check the participation conditions:
To be eligible for the award, the PhD thesis must satisfy the following
- The work in the thesis must be relevant to MAX IV, i.e. the work must be based
fully or partially on research performed at Max-lab or MAX IV laboratory, across
any discipline, method, technique or application of synchrotron radiation.
- The thesis must be defended during the period: 26 July 2019 – 26 July 2020
- All participants agree to present a 4 minute clip on Monday 28th September (if requested). The winner of the PhD thesis award, agrees to present their PhD thesis work (15 mins + 5 mins questions ), as part of the user Highlights on Tuesday 29th.
- The nomination documentation must be complete and submitted by the specified deadline (midnight on the 14th August 2020).
We encourage the PhD to send his/her own nomination in this way. Alternatively,
the PhD supervisor can send a nomination by email to MAXIV – usermeeting , with
the subject MAX IV PhD Thesis Award 2020. In either case, the following are the
steps to finalize the nomination:
- Complete the MAX IV PhD thesis award Nomination Form. The purpose of the
nomination form is to help us to assess the thesis and the work.
- Submit a letter of support from a relevant senior academic (candidates
supervisor, head of department or other relevant senior person who has experience
of the candidate and their work)
- Submit a PDF copy or a link to the thesis. In addition, MAX IV would greatly appreciate it if the PhD thesis is also uploaded to the DUO system. See Duo database note in here.
The deadline to submit a nomination is midnight on the 14th August 2020. Nominations received later that that will not be considered!
The PhD Thesis will be evaluated by a Review Committee appointed by the MAX IV User Office and supported by the MAX IV management.
The evaluation guideline criteria are:
- The quality and impact of the work within the context of the field.
- The quality and capability of the candidate based on the thesis manuscript and associated published work.
- The contribution of the PhD student to the research work in their PhD thesis (as indicated by the “Authors contributions” information provided in the thesis and in the submitted list of associated publications).
Decision and award
All participants will be informed of the result of the selection process at least a week before the user meeting. The selected PhD graduate will be contacted for further arrangements and possible options, under the COVID-19 restrictions, for either a virtual or on-site presentation.
The winner of the MAX IV PhD Thesis Award 2020 will be welcomed to give an oral presentation on the PhD research. The award includes a monetary prize, the equivalent of 5000 SEK.
The other PhD participants in the PhD thesis award competition have the chance to present a 4 minutes clip on Monday 28th September.