Paper and pulp
The paper and pulp industry is undergoing radical changes where pulping, papermaking, and biorefinery processes are being re-invented. At MAX IV, the paper and pulp industry research has a clear focus on developing new material concepts, investigating new areas of application for wood-based materials, finding new methods for extracting and processing more wood components from the bulk processes, and studying how solid or liquid wood components are structured and distributed as well as their reactivity.
Through synchrotron X-ray research it is possible to gain new knowledge of the structure of wood at the molecular level. This can guide the development of new modification methods of bark, wood fiber, lignin, cellulose, hemicellulose, and other materials.
Other research topics include producing new types of cellulose nanomaterials, optically transparent nanopapers and cellulose foam, and understanding the interaction between cellulose and water and its effect on mechanical solidity in packaging materials, etc.
Paper and pulp companies have a close research collaboration with MAX IV, and industry representatives have come together and invested in a beamline at MAX IV called ForMAX, where you as an industrial user can have fast access through the national research and collaboration platform Treesearch.
Examples of research topics at MAX IV:
- Forest raw materials across length scales
- Mechanical properties during processes and at different temperatures and humidity levels
- Structures at molecular and nanometric levels
- Cellulose-water interaction effects
Popular techniques and beamlines:
- Tomographic imaging at ForMAX and DanMAX
- Wide-angle X-ray Scattering and Small-Angle X-ray Scattering at CoSAXS and ForMAX
- Soft X-ray miscroscopy and spectroscopy at SoftiMAX
- Absorption spectroscopy and diffraction at Balder
Discuss your research and innovation needs with us! Contact us at the MAX IV Industrial Relations Office and we will help you turn your research idea into an experiment and match it with the suitable methods and techniques for you.