SESAME – MAX IV scholarships for training
July 2020: The online application is now closed. The special acceptance of invited late applications is also closed.
The starting time of the scholarships is under the current situation very uncertain. We hope a realistic starting time from early 2021, but can not promise this.
The evaluation process of candidates has started. There has been around ten times more applications than we will be able to fund. We are now working with a “head group” to see which applications we will be able to place and fund. Some of the applicants have already received a notification that they do not belong to the “head group”.
The Swedish Institute (https://si.se/en/) is funding scholarships for training and exchange at MAX IV Laboratory in Sweden. The Scholarships are open for scientists, engineers and PhD students active at or in relation with SESAME to spend 3-6 months in Sweden.
The aim of the program is to develop the scientific activities around SESAME and the laboratory itself. At the MAX IV Laboratory the scientific program is running and new beamlines are under commissioning. By providing the possibility to join a group in Sweden, knowledge and experience can be exchanged. This relates to training in the use of Synchrotron Radiation, the design/build-up/commissioning of beamlines, and operation, installation and development of the accelerator systems.
The program is run in collaboration between Lund University, Uppsala University, MAX IV Laboratory and the Swedish Institute.
Please note: the scholarships are NOT intended for regular beamtime at MAX IV.
The program will run until November 2021.
Total available funding for this call is: 436.500 SEK (» 42 000 €)
Scholarships (100 SEK ~ 10 €)
- 3-6 months
- PhD students 15 000 SEK/month (level of 2019)
- Scientists 18 500 SEK/month (level of 2019)
- Travel allowance 15 000 SEK/scholarship holder
- The stay in Sweden has to be completed by 1 December 2021
- Research and activity towards SESAME
- Applicants are to be from the SESAME Members classified by OECD/DAC as least developed, other low income, lower middle income and upper middle income, with preference being given to candidates from Egypt, Jordan, Pakistan, Palestine and Turkey.
How to apply
The application period is open until 15 May 2020, and applications should be filed at: Application page
The application should contain the following documents in PDF format:
- Main application including a project plan (approx 2 pages)
- Publication list
- References (name and email)
The application will be evaluated and scholarships awarded according to the criteria below. Consider these carefully when preparing the application.
- Plan showing how the training is connected to SESAME
- Project within relevant field
- Scientific qualifications
- Scientific references
- Project possible in Sweden and a suitable research group available
- Project plan and goal with the stay
- Ambition and possibility to develop projects towards SESAME
- An equal gender balance among the scholarship holders
Dowload the describing document.
For additional information please contact: