1. Automatic sample changer
- 16 position solid sample holder in a 4 x 4 array. The samples should be in liquid-tight aluminium cells with thin mica or mylar windows (information on the supplier for windows can be give on request).
- 6 position gel sample holder.
- 6 capillary sample holder. Samples can be loaded into 1.5 mm diameter quartz capillaries within a thermostatic, water bath, controlled holder.
- Basic capillary rack. A number of capillaries can be mounted vertically within an aluminium block. Please note that for weakly scattering systems, reproducibility and background subtraction may be more difficult in this set-up.
2. Solution SAXS and BioSAXS
Automatically controlled pipetting sample loader from two 96-well plates.
Thermostatic temperature control of the plates and the measuring capillary.
Minimum injectable sample volume is μl.
Automated cleaning system.
Programmable sample queue.
3. Linkam heating stage (THMS 600 with liquid nitrogen pump LNP96)
Silver block Linkam heating stage for 1.5 mm diameter capillaries. Heating and cooling rates up to 80 °C/min. Temperature range -195 to 300 °C, nominal stability 0.1 °C.
4. Linkam DSC stage (DSC 600 with liquid nitrogen pump LNP96)
Single cell system to allow simultaneous heat flow measurements during rapid heating and cooling. Heating and cooling rates up to 80 °C/min. Temperature range -195 to 300 °C, nominal stability 0.1 °C. Samples should be sealed within liquid-tight aluminium cells with thin mica or mylar windows (information on the supplier for windows can be give on request).
5. SURF (SAXS/UV-Vis/Fluorescence)
Combined spectroscopy and SAXS measurements. 1.5 mm diameter, quartz capillary with peltier heating control.
6. Stopped flow rapid mixing device
Commercial instrument with four syringes and three mixing chambers.
A commercial rheometer with SAXS attachments has been purchased to develop a modular and flexible rheometric system both CoSAXS and ForMAX, via a collaboration with Chalmers University.
8. High precision sample scanning stages
High precision stages for sample scanning will be available, via a collaborative development with cSAXS, PSI and Chalmers university.
9. Microfluidics flow cell
An adaptive microfluidic platform is being developed with the Balder and MicroMAX beamlines (SSF funded project Adaptocell). A thermoplastic microfluidic chip which allows hydrodynamic flow focusing of sample with buffer/reagent sheaths around is being developed to be used at CoSAXS. The flow is pressure-driven using an external pressure controller (OB1 from Elveflow) where the flow rate is monitored using Microfluidic Flow Sensor (MFS from Elveflow) that works between 0.07ul/min and 1ml/min. Switching (Flow Switch Matrice from Elveflow) and mixing valves (Injection/Distribution Valve from Elveflow) capable of switching between 10 lines of samples and mixing 6 set of samples/reagents respectively, will be used to perform specific set of experiments as required.
10. User defined equipment and sample environment
User equipment can be mounted within the beamline, following appropriate safety assessment. Please discuss with the beamline scientist.