Balder User Information
Balder beamline attributes
|Beam Size||defocused V ~0.1-2 x H ~ 2-9 mm2, focused 100 x 100 µm2|
|Energy Range||2.4 - 40 keV|
|Time Scales||ms - s|
|Samples||covering K-edges from S to La and L-edges from Nb in almost any sample in any form under many condition see text on the main page|
Current beamline performance (updated 2020-02-14)
|Beam size||Focused H 50 x V 50 µm2 (Si111), (Si311)
Defocused vertical 2 mm, horizontal 200 µm
|Energy range||5 - 40 keV|
|Time scales||Step scan 30 min/EXAFS
Fly scan 30 sec/EXAFS
|Sample related||Translations at ambient conditions for transmission and fluorescence,
Cryostat under commissioning with beam July 2020, if successful available in fall
Information for the third user call (2020-02-14):
- Balder beamline is providing transmission and fluorescence XANES/EXAFS in the energy range from 5 – 40 keV (DCM Si111, Si311).
- Scanning can be made in step scan mode (~30 min/EXAFS) or in fly scan mode (~30 sec/EXAFS) for both transmission and fluorescence detection. XANES spectra will be correspondingly faster.
- Sample translations at ambient conditions.
- Closed cycle cryostat, planned commissioning in July, if successful available for users during fall.
- Limited gas experiments possible, please contact staff for feasibility.
- Fluorescent detection XAS with the 7 element SDD is available up to 20 keV. The 7 element Ge detector (up to 40 keV) is in repair, unknown when it is back.
- XES is not in user operation. A highly limited expert commissioning call is open.
- XRD is not in user operation.
The multi-sample holding plates fit to the translation stages used at ambient conditions. The same size (22 x 75 mm2) and interface will also fit in the cryostat and be compatible with robotic sample loading (at a later stage) (exception the 13 mm pellet plate). If users want to design their own holders, please use the same interface (2x ∅5.6 mm holes and the 3.4 mm slot, up to 2 mm thickness). Plates are otherwise available at the beamline in aluminum and acrylic glass. Drawings are available upon request.