Here we gather all user-driven initiatives in the context of the MAX IV process of developing a science-driven strategy to guide MAX IV development during the period of 2023–2030. General info on parent page: MAX IV strategy 2023 – 2030
Many activities will be ongoing to gather user communities with different interests in connection to entering major items into the Roadmap as well as the content of the Strategy document, we make an attempt to list what we know is going on here.
Download presentations about the process and its status for public use
This is a short presentation for public use about the current status quo on the process for the Strategy and Roadmap, about where people can find information, and how they can get involved.
Please note that items for the Roadmap are gathered via a call for contributions.
Upcoming workshops related to the Strategy and/or Roadmap work
(to the best of our knowledge – work in progress)
October 20th, 9:00 – 12:00 CET, 2021 – Workshop on synchrotron tomography for future MAX IV experiments
At this workshop we will see presentations of current state-of-the-art tomography beamlines, and applications, leading to discussions of future possibilities at MAX IV. Specifically, we wish to submit expressions of interest (EOI) to the MAX IV Roadmap. Previously, proposals for tomography beamlines dedicated to materials science (iMAX) and bio-medical samples (MedMAX) have been prepared by the community. With this workshop we wish to collect updated information from the user community as input to the future strategy, including (but not limited to) materials science, bio-medical samples, geology, archaeology etc. Link to event page.
October 21st, 9:00 – 12:00 CET, 2021 – Workshop on Structural Biology – Health and Medicine I
With the Structural Biology workshop we would like to gather input from the scientific community on how MAX IV can optimally support the field of structural biology in the future. What will be the role of macromolecular crystallography, X-ray scattering, X-ray spectroscopy and other techniques? How should the MAX IV facilities develop in the coming decade?
Contact: Thomas Ursby (); link to event page.
October 21st, 13:00 – 16:00 CET, 2021 – Energy Technologies and Materials III – Workshop Bioenergy Technologies
We warmly invite you to part of the series of virtual half-day workshops combined under the “Energy Technologies and Materials” umbrella. We invite everyone who is interested in contributing to corresponding section of the strategy document to participate in the workshops. This one focuses on Bioenergy technologies, and is organised by Nils Skoglund (UmU). Tentative agenda can be found on the Energy Technologies and Materials events page.
October 25th – 27th, 2021 – The 33rd MAX IV User Meeting
Many activities at the User Meeting are expected to relate to the Strategy and Roadmap work. It is possible to submit suggestions for contributions related the MAX IV strategy, e.g. under the category “Developments and forward looking discussion”, see abstract submission for more information. If you are unsure about how to engage, contact the organisers or give them a call (Ana Labrador +46 766 32 33 28).
October 28, 2021 – Ultrafast x-ray science using SXL at MAX IV
Following the development of a Conceptual Design Report for a Soft X-ray Laser operating in the 1 – 5 nm wavelength range (0.25 – 1.2 keV) at MAX IV – based on the science case from 2016 and complemented with input of speakers from the international free electron laser user community – this satellite meeting aims to highlight what science could be done at SXL, so that the science case can be updated prior to a Technical Design Report is initiated. Contact: Ana Labrador
- June 17th , 2021 Tender X-ray e.g. HAXPES beamline workshop – Read more about it here.
- August 24th, 2021 – Workshop on a future hard X-ray operando diffraction beamline – OPERA. Please contact Magnus Colliander (Chalmers) if you have any questions.
- August 26th, 2021 – Workshop on a Future µ-Spectro-microscopy Beamline. Link to event page here.
- September 1st, 09:00 – 12:15 CET, 2021 – Tackling Environmental Challenges. Link to event page here.
- September 3rd, 13:00 – 16:15 CET, 2021 – Workshop for IR spectromicroscopy beamline MIRARI. Link to event page here.
- September 8th, 09:00 – 12:15 CET, 2021 – Energy Technologies and Materials I – Workshop on photovoltaics and related materials. Link to event page.
- September 10th, 09:00 – 12.15 CET, 2021 – Energy Technologies and Materials II – Workshop Energy Conversion: Thermal- and Electrocatalysis. Link to event page.
- September 10th, 13.30 – 16.00 CET, 2021 – Upgrade of the “dirty matter” photoemission endstation at the FlexPES B-branch at MAX IV. Link to event page here.
- September 28th, 15:00 – 17:00 CET, 2021 – Presentation of the Conceptual Design Report for the Soft X-ray Laser@MAX IV (SXL). Link to event page here.
- October 5th – October 6th, 09:00 – 16:00 CET, 2021 – Workshop “ARPES in Sweden”. Link to event page.
- October 15th, 09:00 – 12:00 CET, 2021 – Energy Technologies and Materials IV – Organised by Aleksandar Matic (Chalmers). Info on the events page.